Kazakhstan Eyes Bioethanol Market

Keen to have a slice of any cake that's going, party-pooping Kazakhstan are turning their attention to the bioethanol market as the next big thing.

Their Minister of Agriculture says that the country will expand it's existing bioethanol capacity to two billion litres "in the nearest future". That's five Ensus's running at full tilt to you and me. Not that the one Ensus we've got runs at full tilt yet, let alone another four of the buggers as well, but you get my drift.

Well, Akylbek Kyrishbaev as the Kazakh Minister of Agriculture is called - blimey that's a mouthful isn't it missus? Yes, where was I, erm, Aky my old mucker as I call him reckons that they can use fallow agricultural land to ramp up wheat production to the required levels to fuel the expansion. Nice pun, Nogger.

Kazakhstan currently has just the one wheat refinery, which processes around 220,000 MT of wheat per year into gluten, starch and bioethanol. Another five Ensus's would require around a further 5-6 MMT of wheat. That's wheat that they'd rather like to export having just networked like crazy to get themselves in with those wheat-loving document-forgers the Egyptians.

If they can't ramp production up to the required levels, then it potentially takes some wheat back off the export market to be used domestically for bioethanol production. But if anyone can sort it Aky can.

I say, I say, I say. What do you call an Egyptian who doesn't take back-handers? Asif. That's a cracker that one. I can't believe that I haven't been snapped up for a summer season at Cleethopes yet, I really can't.