Banned Additive Found In Chinese Pig Feed

A total of 46 people were poisoned in South China’s Guangdong province this week after having eaten pig organs that contained a banned animal-feed additive, according to news agency Xinhua.

All the people were hospitalised for stomach aches and diarrhoea. Three people remained in the hospital for further observation, said Wang Guobin, an official with the Guangzhou Municipal Public Health Bureau.

Wang said all of them had eaten pig organs, which, according to an initial investigation, were contaminated by the feed additive clenbuterol.

The chemical can prevent pigs from accumulating fat, but is poisonous to humans and can be fatal. It is banned as an additive in pig feed in China and in most other countries of the world.

Wang said a further investigation is underway to find out the source of the additive.